Saturday, July 28, 2012

Southern Belle Peach Cobbler

I swear I must have been a Southerner in a previous life. (I'm South Indian, but that doesn't count.) I go nuts over barbecue, make a mean slow-cooked pulled pork, eat collard greens by the bowlful, and am perpetually on the lookout for hushpuppies. In college I had a quest to find the perfect cornbread. So it shouldn't be a surprise that I spent many weekends last summer optimizing my peach cobbler recipe. I'm admittedly a little reluctant to share my secret peach cobbler recipe, but here it is. (Don't say I never did nuthin' for ya.)

Start with great summer peaches. (We're big fans of Kashiwase Farms.)

You can't tell here, but these peaches are huge!
I've adapted the basic recipe from this one: The first group of ingredients is the cobbler itself, and the second group of ingredients is the topping. The topping is delicious and we feel like there's never enough topping, so I double the topping. I also eliminate the white sugar from the recipe altogether. (I don't feel like great peaches need tons of sugar anyway)

Cut the peaches into chunks/slices. (Or get your husband to do it. That's what I do.)

Sprinkle the peaches with the first batch of ingredients and toss to mix. You can modify the sugar/spices according to your preferences.
Prebake at 425 deg for 10 minutes.
While that's baking, make the topping from the second batch of ingredients, following the directions.
Remember, if you don't double the topping, you will probably wish that you had.
Except that I add an earth-shattering secret ingredient that really sends this recipe over the top. Cardamom! Add freshly ground cardamom to taste - I add ~4 pods worth of seeds.
Every card-carrying chemist needs a good mortar and pestle.
Drop spoonfuls on top of the prebaked peaches, and put in the oven ~30 minutes.
Personally I skip the sugar/cinnamon topping they suggest, and just sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. This also makes it look a little extra brown when it's finished baking. Take out when it's cooked to your preferred done-ness - golden-brown up top.
And enjoy!
It took all my willpower to shoot this photo before digging in.
I have to admit I don't really enjoy baking, but I'll make an exception for peach cobbler. This makes a great dessert for summer gatherings/potlucks/etc (this was originally intended for friends).

If you had told me four years ago that I'd be spending Saturday nights baking with my hubby,  happily married, and living in the suburbs, I likely would have laughed in your face. But I'm extremely happy. Domesticity is slowly growing on me. :)

Veena

2 comments:

  1. yes please! That looks so good. I feel ashamed to admit that I am not sure what cardamom tastes like

    ReplyDelete